Welcome to the ABA! Bell Talk Forums Small Bells Grelot, diligence bells

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • #10582

      Whilst looking on an online auction site I found some bells which are large crotals i.e. rumblers, apparently often made of bronze and quite decorative, mostly with horses heads.
      They are also referred to as ‘diligence bells’. Does this mean they were used for working horses? Perhaps also for carriage horses as many look quite old. I have only found them on the French site, so were they more typical for France and where were they cast?
      Could the word ‘grelot’ mean something like ‘rumbler’, I couldn’t find a translation in an online dictionary and my French is very, very rusty these days.
      I do apologise for all these questions, but I am very curious to know about them.
      Kind regards

    • #13069
      Carolyn Whitlock

      Dear Maybell,

      I did a search on dogpile.com (a search engine that searches several other search engines) and found a translation of “grelot” that simply says “bell.” You can check it out at http://www.wordreference.com/fren/grelot.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.