Welcome to the ABA! Bell Talk Forums Large Bells clapper question

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • #10680

      Other than taking pictures, I have little knowledge when it comes to bells. I see on some church bells there is an auxiliary clapper that is mounted below the bell and uses a seperate rope. What is the intent of that?
      thank you

    • #13310

      It’s called a tolling hammer and is rung slowly after a funeral while the coffin is being carried from the church to the hearse or the grave. The device doesn’t get used much anymore since most funerals are no longer held in churches.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.