Welcome to the ABA! Bell Talk Forums Large Bells 8 inch unknown ships bell

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      RockinEZ
      Participant

The story I have is this was purchased approximately 50 years ago at an antique store as a ship’s bell. It then was hung outside. The bell is 8” in diameter. Anyone seen one of these?

jackbell
      Participant

It’s exactly like the one my parents purchased new in the 1950s at a hardware store. It was boxed as a patio bell but we used it in the kitchen to announce meals.

RockinEZ
      Participant

Thanks so much for the information. The time frame would fit.
      My understanding is this specific bell was also used as a dinner bell for the last 50 years.

RockinEZ
      Participant

During a discussion and a few beers it was pointed out to me that WWII left a lot of brass on the ground. After the war clever hungry people that were not killed by the pointy end of these weapons, realized this was a resource and started local foundries. They created decorative items to sell to the only emerging economy in the world at the time. Us… that is the U.S.

I was born in ’53 and remember a lot of brass trinkets coming from China and India. Everything from strange, but amusing crab and fly ashtrays to bells, all made from brass shell casings.

I wonder if this bell and others of the time were products of WWII leftovers.
      I like to think about stuff like that, and so do my buddies. A couple of beers and an idea and we are good for hours.

jackbell
      Participant

Steel left from the war was used to make kitchen and bathroom cabinets for the booming construction industry. The cabinets were enameled white with chrome-plated pulls and can still be found in 40s and 50s homes that have had little or no remodeling.

RockinEZ
      Participant

I get the same feeling about bells as I do about ancient coins.
      I like to hold a Roman denarius in my hand and wonder who got paid with this.
      What did he do with the money?

I always wonder about the history of specific bells. What ship did it serve on? How many ships? It is here without barnacles so I suspect the last ship it was on was decommissioned not sunk…….. I like the history part, and the hunt for that history is also interesting.

genegibbs
      Participant

I like keeping old things. This type of bell belonged to my great grandmother. She used to keep it in kitchen and we all used to play with it. She was very fond of it and so was my mother. She had brought it to our house after my great grandmother expired. This bell is still very much precious to my mother and she too keeps it in kitchen to wake us up in the morning.

RockinEZ
      Participant

The person that sold me the bell told me it was a dinner bell on a family farm for 50+ years.
      It was sold when the farm was torn down.

It is a shame that someone in the family was not interested enough to keep this bell. It could have been something special to connect them to their past, as your bell does for you.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.