Welcome to the ABA! Bell Talk Forums Large Bells 40" C. S. BELL CO Value?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      DABikerir
      Participant

My brother purchased and lived in a church in New London, Mn until his death in 2008. The church has a big, beautiful bell. The info on the bell yoke is: THE C. S. BELL CO HILLSBORO O, and the other side is: STEEL ALLOY 40 CHURCH BELL. The bell measures: 40″ dia at the rim and 26″ tall (bell only); The stand is 51″ wide x 34″ deep x 29″ tall; The bell wheel has a 49″ dia wooden rim and cast spokes. Everything is there including a 32″ long wrench that fits the nuts that bolt the bell to the yoke. The only issue is a broken arm on the tolling hammer. I would say minor rust. I have a brief history of the church which was built in 1900. I didn’t have much luck with the Photobucket thing, but I have pictures I’d be happy to send to an email address. We are not sure what to do with the bell and have no idea what it’s value is. Originally I wanted to build a short “bell tower” in my yard to remember him by, but this bell is too big (and loud) for that. Any info on the bell’s value, or any other interest in this bell is welcome.

Dave Benson
      DABikerir@aol.com

Anonymous
      Inactive

Dave,

If you would like, I’d be glad to add the picture(s) to your posting. Please send them to me electronically at coordinator@americanbell.org.

Admin (Carolyn)

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have posted Dave’s pictures in his original posting.

Admin (Carolyn)

Towerguy

The tolling hammer can be repaired, but would eventually break right next to where it was repaired. If you can get both pieces together, get some pictures and measurements I can look and see if I have anything similar around. The overall length from the strike point of the hammer to the hole it pivots on is the most important. The diameter of the head of the hammer would be helpful too.

Having that bell in your yard would be quite loud!

Neil Goeppinger
      Participant

I’d say based on the sale of two 36″ C. S. Bell Co bells and a 40″ C. S. Bell Co bell that this bell is worth around $2,200. There aren’t very many bells this size for sale, nor are there very many people looking for a bell this large. Thus the price could be higher or lower depending on who’s out there at a given time. — Neil

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.