Welcome to the ABA! Bell Talk Forums Large Bells 34 inch bell help

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      NKCbellguy
      Participant

I’m trying to identify an old church bell, and figure out how to get it restored. The bell is at a high school in North Kansas City, MO. It came from Saint Augustine monestary in Kansas City, KS in 1960. I don’t know if the bell was cast for the monestary or not. The only markings even semi legible, are a 34 on the yoke, and letters that apear to spell “YORK” also on the yoke. The bell measures 34 inches across at the mouth, and 24 inches tall. It is on a yoke that looks to have been designed for a wheel, but has none. It sits in a standard looking a frame. The bell apprears to be cast iron. It is missing the clapper, and there appears to be a place for leaf springs on the clapper mount. I’d like to know more about the bell, and get some advise on how to obtain a clapper, and repair a thin crack that runs from the bell mouth pretty far up the side of the bell. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Neil Goeppinger
      Participant

Hello, I can’t help you on your question about repairing the crack in your bell, but I can give you a lead for obtaining a clapper. Try Todd at thebellfactory@verizon.net

With only the word York on the yoke, it would be pretty hard to identify the source of your bell. There were at least 350 different companies which made large bells in the U.S. — Neil

Neil Goeppinger
      Participant

I earlier referred you to an internet site, thebellfactory@verizon.net
      This week I had reason to contact them and my e-mail came back, so I called their cell phone and discovered that due to a change in phone service they had to change slightly their e-mail address. The new one is simply: bellfactory@verizon.net

Leave off the word “the” at the beginning. — Neil

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.