Welcome to the ABA! Bell Talk Forums Large Bells 20" San Antonio Ave Maria 1810

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      fourlix
      Participant

Hey, My brother bought this bell from a church in San Antonio in the 1970’s. We are thinking it could be an authentic Spanish colonial bell, or, an early 20th century knock off. Hoping it is not the later. It’s about 24″ high, bronze, 20 ” diameter at the rim. It weighs a lot, probably 300+ lbs. The Inscription reads “San Antonio 1810 Ave Maria” The Hospital bell for the Alamo would be a nice result. The Hospital was 1805-1812. Thanks for looking..

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      fourlix
      Participant

Is this an A.S.C. Forbes bell? It seems too big.

fourlix
      Participant

This bell is now on display at the L.C. Ranch in Gila, New Mexico, 30 miles NW of Silver City. LyonsCampbellRanch.com The bell joins a large collection of art and antiquities furnishing the Historic million acre cattle empire’s headquarters which includes the adobe mansion of Tom Lyons, an old west saloon, jail, theater, gallery, chapel, bunkhouse, post office. Guided tours of the Headquarters compound are conducted at high noon on Saturdays for a donation of $15/pp.
      Reservations required: 575-535-2825

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by fourlix.
      Attachments:
      fourlix
      Participant

I am trying to get this picture up… and it jusst keeps putting the old ones back up again..

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by fourlix.
      Attachments:
      fourlix
      Participant

Try this again,,,

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by fourlix.
      Attachments:
        fourlix
        Participant

And again..

Attachments:
      Neil Goeppinger
      Participant

First, Mrs. A.S.C. Forbes did make bells this large. I have seen pictures of her with bells this big in her foundry. I have never heard of her making a bell with a Texas town name on them, only California so far as I know.

I believe this is an old and genuine early Texas/Mexico bell (the area went under a number of different flags over the years). There were itinerant bell founders who went from town to town casting church bells in the Texas, New Mexico and Arizona areas, and there are books on this subject. The new fakes are not as large as this, so far as I know.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.