Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      nightflier51
      Participant

I bought a 20 inch cast iron bell complete with stands, wheel and original clapper. It is unmarked but says 22 yoke, barely readable. It is solid and nothing is cracked are broken. I got it for 125.00. Was this a bargain at that price?

Garry
      Participant

NF51,

With all the hardware? – I’d say you got a pretty good deal!

Garry

nightflier51
      Participant

Thanks Garry I finally got it in the house for storage until spring when i can mount it with a ross meehan 22 i have out back. This bell i just bought has a bit lower tone than the cs bell no 20 ( from brosamers sound samples) but very beautiful. It has weathered alot due to the number barely readable. Im gonna get Rustoleum black and paint it later. This bell is not smooth like the ross meehan is. I has alot of rough places from being in dampness for prob 100 yrs or so, but is very solid. Ron

Neil Goeppinger
      Participant

Hi, A 20″ bell is normally considered to be the smallest of the school bells (20″ thru 28″). The dinner bells (also called farm bells) ran from 12″ thru 18″ in diameter. Dinner bells usually bring $175 to $250 and school bells should bring more. I’d say in the $300 to $700 range, the bigger the higher the price. Yes, you got a good deal. Enjoy it. We all need to get a good deal once in a while. — Neil

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.