This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  pastor1968 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

pastor1968
    Participant

Hi all, I am trying to find information on the bell in our church tower for our centennial anniversary that is coming up (Rose Hill Presbyterian in Columbia, SC). The church was built in 1921, but the bell was installed and dedicated in 1930. According to a newspaper article from that year, the bell was cast in 1889 and weighs 821 pounds. I finally climbed up in the tower and that is indeed the correct date. It is approximately 34 inches in diameter and 26 inches in height, and the inscriptions on the bell read:

C. T. ROBINSON AND CO
    PORTSMOUTH CO
    SOUTH BERWICK ME

Opposite side:

BOSTON MASS 1889

I am particularly trying to either confirm or clarify the “urban legend” I’ve heard, which is that the bell was donated by the president of the University of South Carolina (our church is quite close to the university). The inscription doesn’t indicate anything, but perhaps there is a way to track things down from the manufacturer’s side of things?

I’m trying to attach a few shots in case that is helpful for anyone. Many thanks in advance for any help!

Max

pastor1968
    Participant

I see the photos were too large. I’ve tried to shrink them down here.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.