Welcome to the ABA! Bell Talk Forums Large Bells 1886 #3 C.S. Bell

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Doty6035
      Participant

I am restoring a bell that belongs to my Aunt, She is 88 years old and was in WWII and Korea, she is a very special lady, but back to the bell, I have researched, made many call to how to paint it, and the mounting bracket that is not original, but to find out that it is an original, that is hair raising, to know that in 1889 20,000 bells were made, but in 1886 how many were made then, and this is a question, just because it has 1886 was it made in 1886? But now I am done painting it, I have painted it in accordance with the colors of a train bell, to that my ancestry men worked on the rails, and then to find this bell in the back of my Aunt’s house, it was all molded and looking bad, but now it looks brand new with the white raised letters, I plan on making a standing mounting bracket for it, I have all of the parts to make it, but this thing weighs close to 100 lbs, I would like to make the standing bracket original as possible but have not found a picture of a train with the bell on it, I know that there were several uses for this bell, I am making only assumptions of the origin, but want to keep the family history of the Rails. Am I on the right path or do any of you have suggestions, I would appreciate any you make, Thanks

Garry
      Participant

HI!

I would start looking at Google searches on “railroad bells” or “train bells”. There are a number of different mounting types and styles, usually dependent on how the bell was rung and fixed. Some bells had a pull rope to an off set striker so the bell was mounted not to swing, others swung the bell itself, not the stricker. You should be able to match the bell up on these sites if you look at it’s details closely. Here’s an example: http://www.brosamersbells.com/rr.html

If the date (and I don’t see a photo of the bell posted here) is raised lettering, indicating it was part of the mold, I find that it is best to think of it as the “copyright date” so to speak for the bell. The molds are used over and over so unless there is anything else to determine the date, you can only be certain that it was made that year or later.

For example, it was inscribed with a presentation date, or you have a great paper trail of the bell, or a STAMPED date, or it was produced for a special event and the mold destroyed afterwards… All would be an indicator of the exact date.

So the difference of a year or two in a molded date is entirely probable.

Hope that helps!
      Garry

Doty6035
      Participant

I just finished my bell, or my aunt’s bell. it belonged to my Uncle Mitchel Rancourt. He worked ont he Pennsylvania Railroad before it became Penn-Central. It is painted Gold with black yoke and white raised letters. just like the ones you see in the museum. I think my aunt and my family will enjoy it for years to come, and it will be a family airloom that will be handed down for years to come. I will post some pictures when I can. take care and enjoy

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.