Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      heather198100
      Participant

My mom has a bell that I was looking at. It is pretty plain and reminds me of something on an old movie. Only about 4 to 5 inches tall though and I think it’s brass. The only markings it has on it is PRESB T Bell (the T is underlined and I can’t tell if there is a space between PRESB and the T or not because the T is also a little smaller) And underneath that is says Dec 5 1883…. Any ideas on where I can get anymore info on it?

Thanks in Advance,
      Heather

Anonymous
      Inactive

Dear Heather,

Without seeing a picture of the bell, it is very difficult to give information. Please either post a picture or e-mail a picture to me and I will post it for you. You may mail it to me at coordinator@americanbell.org.

Admin (Carolyn)

Garry
      Participant

Carolyn is correct, to get a true(r) understanding of the bell, and therefore a more accurate analysis, we really need to see a couple different shots of the bell. A side view and an underside view as well as any markings is very helpful.
      You might also do a quick test with a magnet – does it stick to any part? There you are looking at iron (perhaps brass plated but still iron).

One observation I will make. Presbt is usually a short hand for Presbyterian. There are a number of bells out there with various markings from Presbyterian Churches. They seem to have in common, the date the church was built marked on them. Otherwise they run a gauntlet of styles (hand bells, small hanging bells, community name, church name, no name, etc. embossed on them). They tend to be of a bit higher quality than ‘work’ bells, better buffing and brass, that kind of thing.

Hopefully you can supply a couple photos to help with the identification!

Garry

heather198100
      Participant

Thanks! I will get some pics posted soon. I have a few things I need to get done this week so I will post as soon as I can!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.