Welcome to the ABA! Bell Talk Forums Large Bells 1840 KAYE BRONZE BELL

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      hdeanhal
      Participant

OUR CHURCH HAS DISCOVERED DURING A CONSTRUCTION PROJECT,THAT IN OUR STEEPLE WE HAVE A KAY BELL. WE FOUND IN OUR MINUTES THAT IN 1836 WE VOTED TO BEGIN COLLECTING MONEY TO BUY THIS BELL. THE ACTUAL PURCHASE DATE IS UNKNOWN. IT WAS INSPECTED BY JOHN EACHUS, AN EXPERT ON BELLS, AND I WILL SHARE WHAT HE FOUND:

THE BELL IS 25.5″ IN DIA.-387#-MUSICAL NOTE D-1840 KAYE FOUNDRY CAST BRONZE BELL-EXELENT CONDITION -THE REPLACEMENT COST FOR A NEW BELL FOR INSURANCE COVERAGE WOULD BE AROUND $ 25000.00. AS TO THE VALUE OF THIS BELL,THIS BELL MAKES THE 5TH FOUND FROM THE KAYE FOUNDRY- HE SAID IT WAS PRICELESS.

THE BELL HUNG IN THE ORIGINAL CHURCH BUILDING-THEN IN THE 1880S WAS REHUNG IN THE THEN NEW CHURCH-IN THE 1960S WAS HUNG IN THE EXISTING BUILDING. THE CHURCH WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE VALUE OF A BELL LIKE THIS WOULD BE.

jackbell
      Participant

Kaye bells aren’t rare and I’ve seen many over the years. Watch the final selling prices at eBay for bronze bells of similar size to get the best estimate of current value. A bell is only worth either the highest amount a buyer is willing to pay or the current per pound bronze rate if sold as scrap. William Kaye was an English immigrant and served as mayor of Louisville, Ky during the Civil war. After his death one of his sons took over the River Street foundry (est 1841) until it went out of business in 1895. It’s interesting that the same cherub/globe motif was used by GW Coffin who operated his Buckeye Bell Foundry in Cincinnati 1837-early 1860s.

divetimelee
      Participant

I believe I have the same Bell. I was given this bell and I am not sure what I am going to do with it. My brother wants to hang it at our mothers country home and let the kids ring it. If you know anything about the bell like the true value please let me know.

Sembry
      Participant

I have a Kaye bell but I can’t find a date on it, where is the cast date usually at?

If there is a date on the bell, it would be quite visible in the shoulder band. William Kaye, like a few other bellfounders, did not always date his bells, even if they were large enough to have space for a date in the maker’s inscription. In this case, perhaps he thought that keeping the sculptural panels complete was more important than including a date. Nowadays, of course, we would disagree with him!

Sembry
      Participant

The bell that I have was once on the Bridges steamboat that sunk near Rochester Ky in 1850, it was then put in the Christian church in Rochester. It is in perfect condition, who could I contact to find out what the bell is worth.

Carolyn Whitlock
      Participant

Dear Sembry,

As stated in the pink strip above, the American Bell Association does not offer appraisal services nor do we maintain a list of certified bell appraisers. Any responses given to a request for a value of a bell will be the opinion of the poster and is not to be considered an official response from the American Bell Association International, Inc. That is not to say, however, that people who respond to postings on this forum don’t have experience and/or expertise is knowing the current value of a given bell.

Having said that, I recommend you do a google search for bell appraisers and realize that most companies that provide appraisals charge for their services.

Good luck!
      Carolyn

Neil Goeppinger
      Participant

I am replying to the inquiry of “Sembry” dated July 8, 2015. In regard to your question about value, I concur with the advice given on 4/29/13 by “jackbell” in reply to another person seeking the value of a W. Kaye bell, when he said “Watch the final selling prices at eBay for bronze bells of similar size to get the best estimate of current value. A bell is only worth either the highest amount a buyer is willing to pay or the current per pound bronze rate if sold as scrap.” That was good advice then and is still true now. I’d go check out selling prices on ebay, not prices asked.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.