Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      theBellDR.
      Participant

hello guys, I have come across a bell that my workers found in the woods the other day and trying to get a little insight on it. the bell is solid brass it weighs around a hundred pounds and has an ingaving of 1390 on the top of it that is the only marking, the bell was found in vero beach FL
      thanks in advance for any insight

jackbell
      Participant

1390 is not the year it was cast. Perhaps 1-3-90 (1890) or the foundry markings could indicate something entirely different. Odd place to find a bell!!!

kcoonen
      Participant

I have a guess, and a not-too-educated one, at that!
      The ring and nut appear to be non-original.
      Is that a weld or braze repair around the base of the tang below the ring and nut?
      I’m guessing it IS brass, and a repaired train bell, that has served more than one purpose with its ring!
      …but just a guess…
      these are fun!
      Can’t wait to hear a more definitive answer!
      kc

lucky13

Looks like a locomotive bell rigged for display in someone’s yard, then stolen and dumped in the woods. The owner probably filed a police report. I’d contact the local police just to be on the safe side. Metal theft has become rampant in recent years. Perhaps the thief decided he could not safely sell something this unique.

theBellDR.
      Participant

my company is tree triming and brush removal and we had a contract to cleer 5 lotts along the intracoastals edge and the bell was found 15 yards from the water and about a quarter mile from the main road and if it was stolen that is a hell of walk with a hundred + pound bell lol… and yes that is brazing on top were the ring is

jackbell
      Participant

Two men could have put a piece of pipe through the ring and carried it easily. Just an odd place for something that nice to turn up.

hjlong3
      Participant

This bell appears typical of a railroad bell, but the ring mounting suggests that it was hung from a rope. When railroads retired their steam engines, they often reused the bells or donated them to charitable groups. Some bells were sold for scrap and the cast iron bracket was removed for recycling as iron scrap and the brass was recycled separately. The fact that there is a steel clapper suggests that the latter was not the case for this bell.
      Harry Long, MD

theBellDR.
      Participant

dose anyone have any idea what this is worth?

hjlong3
      Participant

Without the yoke and bracket, this bell is worth less than if it were an intact unit. Given the size and style, I would estimate $750-$1000 USD.
      Harry Long, MD

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.