Welcome to the ABA! Bell Talk Forums Large Bells 10" high, 10 3/4" diameter at skirt brass bell

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      jkisp
      Participant

Our retirement community is in procession of a bell donated by the descendants of Rear Admiral Abel Trood Bidwell USN, USNA 1908, retired in 1942. As a Commander he served as Captain of USS Bushnell (AS-2) and as a Captain he served as Captain of USS Chicago (CA-29) in 1937-38. We have been told the bell is from one of those ships and would like to have some expert opinion as to it’s origin.
      – The Bell is 10 inches high and 10 3/4 inches at the bottom of the skirt
      – The only engraving found on the bell is “U. S. N.“
      – Material appears to be shiny brass
      – Photos enclosed

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Lauraj
      Participant

This is indeed a standard sized bronze U. S. N. ship bell. They have not varied the size or shape of this bell much over the years.
      You are fortunate to have such a great bell with it’s history well documented. As far as which ship it came from, it may have been the last one the gentleman captained, or just a newer bell given as a commemorative gift at his retirement.
      It is authentic but since ship names were not put on any U.S.N. Bells, it’s a guess.

jkisp
      Participant

Thank you for your response. Our plan is to make a mounting for the bell and hang it in a prominent place with a fitting plaque that honors Admiral Bidwell and his crew. The bell is both beautiful and a reminder of our American history. We will struggle to make the plaque say the important things and not be to long winded. Your response was most helpful. Thank you again.

Carolyn Whitlock
      Participant

jkisp,
      Our late ABA member, Dr. Harry Long, contributed a lot of good information about U.S. Navy bells to the ‘Bell Talk’ Forum. If you haven’t already done a search of this forum for Navy bells, I encourage you to do so.

Congratulations to your retirement community for wanting to honor Admiral Bidwell’s service and memory in this way! When the project is completed, please post a photo of the bell and plaque for us to admire. It may inspire people to honor others in the same way!

Carolyn

jkisp
      Participant

One last issue. I have searched all over the internet for an appropriate wall mount for the bell and have not found one. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you for the info and your support.

Carolyn Whitlock
      Participant

I googled “Wall Mount for U.S. Navy Bell” and many, many options appeared. Good luck!

jkisp
      Participant

We are close to hanging our bell in the pub and have tried to shine the bell with Brasso. There appears to be a sealer of some sort on the surface. Did the Navy use something to retain the shine and should we remove it? What is the best way to shine the bell?

Carolyn Whitlock
      Participant

I can’t tell you how to polish Rear Admiral Abel Trood Bidwell’s USN bell but I do wonder why you want to polish it. It has a beautiful finish on it now, according to your pictures. I wonder if non-bell collectors think a bell looks better if it looks brand new and unused as opposed to as it looked in the late 1930s when the Rear Admiral used it. There’s nothing wrong with a bell showing its age. Food for thought.

jkisp
      Participant

I would not polish a new bell but an 80 year old bronze bell covered in lacquer with drips? My experience says the clean surface will reflect all the wear and dents and make it look old.

Carolyn Whitlock
      Participant

Thanks for the explanation. Good luck in restoring this lovely bell!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.