Welcome to the ABA! Bell Talk Forums Large Bells 10 & 1/2 Inch Wide by 8 Inch Tall Brass? Bell with Steel Bracket

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      l1k2gadd

I saw a bell for sale last weekend and told the seller I was interested but had to wait a week or two to purchase it from him, if he didn’t sell it last weekend. The bell didn’t sell last weekend and I was able to get the funds to purchase the bell from him today. I have been all over the internet looking for other bells like this one but I haven’t had any luck.

The bell is 10 & 1/2 inches across the mouth of the bell and the bell is 8″ high when it is detached from the steel bracket it is installed on. The bracket looks like it was mounted to another structure of some kind. Searching the internet hasn’t produced any information and a reply from Frontier.com suggested I contact everybody here. I search your site without any luck too. I registered and am asking for help from the experts here. I only own one other bell, a bell I was told was made by GE around the bicentennial of the U.S. that is mounted in a pivoting wood base and bears the image of a U-36B locomotive and 1776-1976. Here is a picture of the bell that I purchased today along with its bracket. Any assistance identifying what this came off of is greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      DavidE
      Keymaster

Passing on this reply from bob cowie …
      It is a train bell, but not that old, I would say 1900’s
      Some one are a stand for it.
      robert

nightflier51
      Participant

I’m going to say, it is a ships bell.

Neil Goeppinger
      Participant

It could be either a ship or train bell, but at 10 1/2 inches it is a little small for a locomotive bell, thus I am inclined to think it came from a ship. Also, it has an eye on the bottom of the clapper for a lanyard which is also consistent with a ship’s bell. The two hollow stands are certainly unique.

l1k2gadd

Thank you for the information about the bell. I am continuing to search sites to see if I can find a picture somewhere with a bell that looks the same as this one. I have searched fire truck enthusiast sites, ship bell sites (most I see have ships’ names cast into them) and railroad sites. The gentleman that I bought it from is from Maine, and he was at the flea market again last weekend, so if he is there again this weekend I will talk to him some more about exactly where he had gotten the bell, here in Florida, in Maine, or somewhere else. This could help me in my search. I found a site that has a history of railroad companies that have operated in Maine and the list is huge! I have reviewed a bunch of pictures (about half of the railroads in Maine) on that site but I haven’t found a match for this bell there so far.

The bracket is solid all the way around the bell, as best I can tell. There is a place where the top and middle section look like they are welded at an area with a flange where the two sections change size some. The middle (bottom bracket with the hollow bolt-hole section) look like it bolts to a base of some kind and is only hollowed where the holes are. It appears that when the section with the holes gets bolted to the base the entire assembly would act like a solid bracket all the way around the bell.

I am trying to think about how I am going to use the existing bracket when I build a base to hold the bell but I have plenty of time to work on that.

l1k2gadd

Here are a couple of other photos. (edit) Oh well, maybe I’ll figure out how to get additional photos to upload.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by l1k2gadd.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      nightflier51
      Participant

Its one of 2 things I believe…It may be a ships bell or a fire truck bell.

l1k2gadd

I’m not sure if the image with [detach] next to the title is able to be viewed. When I clicked on the link the image was sent to my downloads file. I had luck with the first image but not with the last two. Thanks again to everybody for the information!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.