Welcome to the ABA! Bell Talk Forums Small Bells motorman’s bell Re: Re: motorman’s bell


Hello Oscar!

I suspect what you have is a coach step stool bell. See the image below. Does it look right to you?

These are a rather interesting bell that is mounted on either a removable or a flip down type step on the side of a horse drawn carriage.
Only the top ‘plunger’ protrudes through the step, the rest is underneath the step.

The driver listens to the bell and counts the rings as each person enters. Often they cannot actually see the people getting in (closed carriage) or aren’t permitted to turn around (etiquette). This way they know how many have entered or exited the vehicle so that they don’t drive off leaving someone standing or still inside.

I have heard them called various names, including Step bell and Stool bell. I haven’t found a definitive name for them yet though.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for though.